Monday, September 7, 2009

Queen Rachel Alexandra

Dear God-
I know I have registered a lot of complaints with you about being born in the wrong time. "Why, God, oh why was I not alive in the seventies, to see the likes of Secretariat, Forego, Ruffian, Seattle Slew, Affirmed, Alydar, Spectacular Bid...." Really God, I thought you were out of your mind, or playing a mean trick on me- to give someone this much of a love for horses and racing, and then not let her see some of the greats LIVE AND IN PERSON? You heard this complaint MANY times, to a different tune "Why couldn't I see the greats of the 40's? Turn of the century?" Whine, whine, whine... occasionally inturupted with praise for Cigar, Serena's Song, Smarty Jones, Zenyatta, Ouija Board, etc... I am REALLY annoying.

Well, God, clearly you knew what you were doing. I will never question you again, and want to thank you for allowing me to be alive to see Rachel Alexandra, horse racing's newly anointed queen.

There is not a horse alive of any age who can touch her. I've started many, many posts about Rachel, and just can not capture her in words. All I can do is thank you, God, that one day when generations to come lament the fact that they were not able to see her live, I will be able to smile, teary-eyed and remember 2009 as the year of Rachel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Made by Lena